In my 25+ year career as a pianist and vocalist, one question remains as the most asked: What Piano Skills do Singers Need?
I have taught hundreds of singers all over the world how to find their power at the keyboard. We have confronted their fear and shame over their lack of skills and I have created a unique method that teaches them the skills they need, in a fraction of the time.
Let's dive in and I'll show you the skills that singers need, divided up by genre. Read through to the end and I'll give you some tips on how you can start to build these skills today!
The Exact Piano Skills that Singers Need
Piano Skills for Pop singers:
- Play major and minor chords in 12 keys
- Know how to play seventh chords and sus chord voicings
- Create simple accompaniments that include a bass line in the left hand
- Play different rhythmic grooves in good time
- Know how to arrange pop songs
Piano Skills for Classical singers:
- Sight read melodies in the right hand with correct articulation
- Do simple chord analysis of scores, jotting in chord symbols
- Play classical style accompaniments like Alberti bass and rolled adagio styles
- Play at least 2 parts at a time of SATB choral music
Piano Skills for Choral Conductors
- Play 2, 3 and 4 parts at a time of SATB choral music
- Play vocal warm-ups
- Conduct from the piano, while playing exerpts of the score
- Play faked accompaniments for singalongs
Don't be afraid to start your piano journey!
If this list looks intimidating, I promise you that it is anything but. This list is merely a starting point: now you know what you might need to function your best as a singer at the piano.
If you have been wanting to finally tackle your piano skills once and for all, I strongly recommend Crash Course in Piano Skills for Singers. I made this course for singers like you who want to get started and need an easy way in.
Crash Course in Piano Skills for Singers is a gentle, no-fluff, let's-get-this-done piano course that is based on the principals of my bestselling Piano Skills for Singers courses.
The course runs live on Zoom Thursday, June 1st at 1pm ET and Friday, June 2nd at 6pm ET and you can come to either day or both (same workshop both days).
You'll get access to the live 90 workshop, a downloadable course book and 21 day access to the replay. A STEAL at only $72.
Learn from master teacher Brenda Earle Stokes, who has helped hundreds of singers all over the world to build real skills in piano.