Step right up! It’s time for a tutorial on Minor Chord Inversions on piano. In this lesson, where we will play inversions on piano in 12 keys.
This is another video in my series about teaching easy piano skills. These are the perfect piano skills for singers or ANYONE who wants to develop some solid piano skills.
Chord Inversions in Minor
Now that you have practiced the inversions in major, learning them in minor is going to be relatively simple. Remember that there is only one note different between major and minor: the 3rd. In minor the 3rd is lowered by a half step.
- Chord is in its natural state
- Root on the bottom, 3rd in the middle, 5th on top.
- The lower interval is a minor third (3 half steps), and the top interval is a major 3rd (4 half steps).
- The root of the chord has been moved to the top of the chord.
- 3rd on the bottom, 5th in the middle, root on top.
- The lower interval is a major 3rd (4 half steps), the top interval is a perfect fourth (5 half steps).
- The 3rd of the chord has been moved to the top of the chord.
- 5th on the bottom, root in the middle, 5th on top.
- The lower interval is a perfect fourth (5 half steps), the top interval is a minor third (3 half steps)
Need to learn more chords?
Sign up and get my FREE Ultimate Chord Cheat Sheets! Perfect for mastering your chords on piano.
How to practice your chord inversions
Practice your inversions in the key of C, until you play play them with ease. Once you have mastered the key of C, then choose 1-2 keys per day until you master them. Adding 5 minutes of inversion practice to your daily routine will ensure that you learn them securely and efficiently!
Practice each exercise
- Right hand alone
- Left hand alone
- Right hand play the chord, left hand play the bass line.
Want to practice efficiently in all twelve keys? Get your free Circle of 5ths printable here.
Want more useful piano chord content? Check out:
Play Major and Minor Chords on Piano
Are you ready to LEVEL UP your piano playing using a proven method?
Are you tired of STRUGGLING at the piano and want an easier way?
Have you taken piano lessons in the past and found that the process was SLOW, FRUSTRATING, or DIFFICULT ?
Piano Skills for Singers Level 2 is my #1 bestselling course, which has empowered hundreds of singers worldwide to amp up their piano skills and be confident and productive at the keyboard.
We skip the busy work from traditional piano classes and go right for the skills that will directly support your work as a singer, voice teacher, and choral conductor.